- Written by Candiss Everett
Each year at this time, a rare, top-rated bourbon called “Pappy” hits the market. But unless you’re a well-connected collector, retailer or bar owner, you’re unlikely to catch even a glimpse of the exotic amber elixir: Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve.
The 23-year-old bourbon (an almost unheard of vintage) has won top awards in all the major whiskey competitions. It’s made with corn and wheat as opposed to corn and rye, and the taste, they say, is heavenly. That is, if you can get a taste. Supplies are that tight. Equally rare are Pappy’s other bourbon vintages.
Downtown Houston bar Reserve 101 has somehow managed to acquire a small batch of Pappy—including the 23-year vintage—for customers seeking a special holiday treat. But it won’t last long. When it’s gone, it’s gone… until next year, when Pappy’s will be just as hard to find.
Reserve 101 is located downtown at the corner of Caroline and Dallas, next to Dirt Bar and across from House of Blues. Stop in and ask for owners Mike Raymond or Steve Long, and maybe—if you’re not naughty but nice—you might just be able to get your hands – and lips – on a shot of the elusive Pappy.
- Cardhu, Clynelish & Caol Ila Single Malts Complimentary Tasting at Reserve 101 Tuesday, Nov 29th
- DALWHINNIE, TALISKER & CRAGGANMORE SINGLE MALT COMPLIMENTARY TASTING AT RESERVE 101 TUESDAY, NOV. 15
- BRAND AMBASSADOR FREDDY MAY LEADS COMPLIMENTARY GLENFIDDICH TASTING NOV. 8 AT RESERVE 101
- CHIVAS REGAL 12-, 18-, 25-YEAR WHISKEY FEATURED IN RESERVE 101 COMPLIMENTARY TASTING NOV. 1
- RESERVE 101 COMPLIMENTARY TASTING OCT. 25: REBECCA CREEK WHISKEY FROM SAN ANTONIO
- FOUR CLASSIC SINGLE MALTS FROM DIAGEO: COMPLIMENTARY TASTING AT RESERVE 101 TUESDAY, OCT. 18
- HOP ON THE BUS! RESERVE 101 TO OFFER FOOD SERVICE FROM JUSTIN TURNER
- LAPHROAIG SINGLE MALT COMPLIMENTARY TASTING TUESDAY, OCT. 11, AT RESERVE 101
- JAPANESE YAMAZAKI SINGLE MALT SLATED FOR OCT. 4 COMPLIMENTARY TASTING AT RESERVE 101
- RESERVE 101 OFFERS SINGLE MALT FROM THE GLENROTHES AT SEPT. 27 COMPLIMENTARY TUESDAY TASTING
- BARREL-AGING BREAKTHROUGH? MANHATTAN-IN-A-BARREL UNVEILED AT RESERVE 101 COMPLIMENTARY TUESDAY TASTING, SEPT. 20TH
- Barrel-Aged Cocktail Update -- It's Coming
- TANQUERAY GINS FEATURED AT RESERVE 101 COMPLIMENTARY TASTING, TUESDAY, SEPT. 13
- INDIAN WHISKEY? ONE OF WORLD’S TOP THREE --- RESERVE 101 HOSTS COMPLIMENTARY TASTING OF AMRUT SINGLE MALT SEPT. 6TH
- LEADING CENTRAL AMERICAN FLOR DE CAÑA RUM AT COMPLIMENTARY TASTING AUG. 30 AT RESERVE 101
- RESERVE 101 HOSTS COMPLIMENTARY WILD TURKEY TASTING AUG. 23
- JIM BEAM DEVIL’S CUT, ORIGINAL & KNOB CREEK BOURBON TASTING AUG. 16 AT RESERVE 101
- RESERVE 101 MOVES ISLE OF JURA SINGLE MALT TASTING TO THURSDAY AUG. 11 FOR MASTER DISTILLER WILLIE TAIT
- JOSE CUERVO TEQUILAS COMPLIMENTARY TASTING TUESDAY, AUG. 2, AT RESERVE 101
- CultureMap Pursues "Holy Grail" of Bourbon at Reserve 101